Cancellations and Withdrawal Information, Undergraduates

Cancellations and Refunds

The following is general information about cancellations and refunds. However, if you are a recipient of federal financial aid, it is critical that you refer to Financial Aid regarding Return of Title IV Funds.

All undergraduate students who withdraw from the University for any reason must secure from the Dean of Students (DOS) acknowledgement of their withdrawal, and arrange with DOS the details of their leaving. No refunds are made unless this procedure is followed.

If a student is dismissed after a semester, payments (if any) for the next semester will be refunded with the exception of certain non-refundable deposits.

If notice of cancellation is received through the first day of classes of a semester, full refund (less non-refundable fees such as the Acceptance Fee, Room Deposit/Reservation Fee and Payment Plan Enrollment Fee) is made if fees have been paid in full.

After the first day of classes, withdrawal adjustments are made only on refundable fees according to the following schedule:

First day of classes  100%
Remainder of first calendar week  90%
2nd week of classes  60%
3rd through 4th week of classes  50%
5th through 8th week of classes  25%

Note this schedule is only applicable for refundable fees, for a list of refundable fees refer to the link below. No fees are refundable after the 8th week of classes.

(Calendar weeks run Monday through Sunday. Regardless of the day of the week the semester begins, the following Sunday ends the first calendar week.)

Refundable Fees

  • Tuition
  • General University Fee
  • Fees Related to Certain Majors, Courses or Lessons
  • Student Union Fee
  • Infrastructure Maintenance Fee
  • Student Government or Activity Fee
  • Daily Campus Fee
  • UCTV Fee
  • Transit fee
  • Residence Hall Fee (conditions apply)
  • Dining Fee


Nonrefundable Fees

  • Acceptance Fee (Admissions Deposit)
  • Late Payment Fee(s)
  • Continuous Registration Fee
  • Payment Plan Enrollment Fee


How to Handle a Grant Overpayment

Students who owe funds to a grant program are required to make payment of those funds within 45 days of being notified that they owe this overpayment. During the 45 day period students will remain eligible for Title IV funds. The university will notify the U.S. Department of Education of the student’s overpayment situation at the same time it notifies the student. If no positive action has been taken by the student within 45 days, the student will no longer be eligible for Title IV funds until they enter into a repayment plan with the U.S. Department of Education. During the 45 day period, the student can make full payment to the university. We will forward the payment to the U.S. Department of Education and the student will remain eligible for the Title IV funds.

      • If you want to contact the U.S. Department of Education, their address is:
U.S. Department of Education
P.O. Box 4222
Iowa City, IA 52245

Phone: 1-800-621-3315


Withdrawal Checklist

Use this checklist as a guide to help you make sure you haven’t forgotten something important before you leave UCONN:

  • Contact the Dean of Students (DOS). It is your responsibility to initiate the withdrawal process; non-attendance at classes or non-payment of fees does not constitute a University withdrawal or relieve you of your financial obligations.
  • Pay any remaining tuition, fees, or other charges on your student account at the Bursar’s Office, if applicable. Past due accounts may be referred to a collection agency and result in legal action. Request a refund of any balance due you.
  • Depending on the date of withdrawal, a withdrawal may affect your financial aid and could result in your owing the University money. Check with the Bursar’s Office before leaving the University.
  • Contact Student Health Services if you have questions regarding your school coverage or check with your private insurance carrier regarding your health coverage as some insurance providers discontinue coverage if a student is not enrolled full time at a college or university.
  • Contact Residential Life to request a cancellation of housing and meals. Housing contracts are binding for the entire academic year so you should inquire as to the amount of housing or meal fees that may remain on your account. Proper check out procedures must be followed and all belongings must be removed.
  • If you have a Perkins Loan, and you will not be attending, you must complete an exit interview.
  • Contact your on-campus employer if you have a student job on campus.
  • If your address is changing, notify the Registrar’s Office or change it in PeopleSoft.
  • If you are receiving financial aid, you may need to contact your lender regarding repayment of loans. Federal Stafford and most private loans have grace periods of 6 months after you stop attending school. It is important that you avoid becoming delinquent on your loans while you are out of school. It could result in ineligibility for further aid and make it impossible for you to return at a later date.
  • Return any books, equipment, or materials on loan from the University.
  • If you have a credit balance on you Husky Bucks Account, contact the One Card Office for a refund.