Cancellations and Withdrawals, Graduate Students

Cancellations and Refunds

In order to be eligible for a refund or cancellation of charges, a student must officially drop all courses currently being taken.

Refunds or cancellations of charges are available on the following schedule for students whose programs are interrupted or terminated prior to or during a regular academic semester. When notice is received prior to the first day of classes of a semester, full refund (less nonrefundable fees) will be made if the fees have been paid in full. Thereafter, refunds or cancellations of refundable charges will be made according to the following schedule:

a) 1st week *...................................................90%
b) 2nd week* ..................................................60%
c) 3rd and 4th week *.....................................50%
d) 5th week through 8th week *...................25%

* Calendar weeks run Monday through Sunday. Regardless of the day of the week that the semester begins, the following Sunday ends the first calendar week.

  • Tuition
  • General University
  • Graduate Activities
  • Graduate Matriculation
  • Infrastructure Maintenance
  • Applied Music
  • Audit
  • Deposit Account balance
  • Cooperative Bookstore Account balance
  • Board
  • Residence Hall
  • Transit

  • Application Processing
  • International Sponsored Student Fee
  • Late Registration/Payment
  • Reinstatement fee
  • Housing Deposit


The general policies and procedures regarding dropping a course (above) apply to dropping all courses, whether the student wishes to remain active in the graduate degree program or to withdraw permanently from it. Permission from the Graduate School is needed for the student either to remain active in the program or to leave in good standing. If a student wishes to remain active and registered after dropping all courses, an appropriate zero-credit Continuing Registration course must be added to his or her enrollment record. The determination of active status is subject to the provisions contained in the "Continuous Registration" section. If a refund is due to a student (See "Refunds and Cancellations of Charges"), the schedule revision-request card must be signed by the appropriate Graduate School officer, regardless of the week of the semester. This signature is required so that the refund process may be initiated. No refund is possible unless all course work for credit is dropped.


Students who owe funds to a grant program are required to make payment of those funds within 45 days of being notified that they owe this overpayment. During the 45 day period students will remain eligible for Title IV funds. The university will notify the U.S. Department of Education of the student’s overpayment situation at the same time it notifies the student. If no positive action has been taken by the student within 45 days, the student will no longer be eligible for Title IV funds until they enter into a repayment plan with the U.S. Department of Education. During the 45 day period, the student can make full payment to the university. We will forward the payment to the U.S. Department of Education and the student will remain eligible for the Title IV funds.
If you want to contact the U.S. Department of Education, their address is:

U.S. Department of Education
P.O. Box 4222
Iowa City, IA 52245

Phone: 1-800-621-3315

E-Mail: Refunds-TitleIV