Refund Hold Authorization

If you have a credit balance on your fee bill you may request that the university hold it for you instead of refunding it to you.  To do this, Department of Education regulations require that we obtain authorization from you.  A credit balance occurs when the university credits Federal Student Aid (FSA) funds to your account and the total amount of those funds exceed your allowable charges. FSA funds include Pell Grants, ACG and SMART Grants, FSEOG (Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grants), TEACH Grants, Perkins Loans, Stafford Loans and Plus Loans. Please note: We can only hold Federal Student Aid until the end of the academic year.

If your credit balance was not caused by federal financial aid you may still use this online request form.  In all cases this is a voluntary authorization and is valid from the date that we receive this request from you.  You may also cancel at any time and the cancellation likewise takes effect on the date that we receive it from you.  In such cases the funds will be paid to you within 14 calendar days after the school receives your cancellation request.

Note: UConn will not under any circumstances hold a credit balance greater than the equivalent of one semester’s tuition and fees.


To request a hold be placed on your credit balance, please email from your UConn email account.  Please include your 7-digit student ID number and indicate the amount that you would like to be held.

As a reminder we can only hold refunds for one fiscal year (Fall-Summer), after this time your no refund hold will be removed and any credit will be created as a refund.

You will receive an email from the Bursar’s Office indicating if the refund hold request has been approved or denied.



The parent form is a printable form which must be mailed or faxed to our office.

Parent Plus Credit Balance Hold Authorization form.

You may either fax the form to us at 860-486-5234,
mail it to us at:

Office of the Bursar
233 Glenbrook Road
Storrs, CT 06269-4100
or email                             

Parents may request a hold of credit balances for Parent Plus Loans only.

In order for a Plus Credit Balance Hold to be approved the credit must be coming from the Plus Loan.

Cancellation or Modification of Prior Refund Hold

The student or parent may cancel or modify the authorization in writing at any time.  A cancellation or modification to this authorization is not retroactive.  It takes effect on the date that the school receives it from the student or  parent.  The funds will be paid directly to the student or parent within 14 calendar days after the school receives the notice.

Cancel a Student Refund Hold Authorization

Parent Plus- Cancellation of Request Hold