Summer 2023 FAQ

New for 2023

What is the Husky Book Bundle Program?

Through a partnership with the UConn Bookstore, full-time undergraduate students will be able to rent all required course materials for a flat fee of $285.  This is an opt-out program, and the charge will be automatically included on students’ semester tuition fee bill.

For complete details on the Husky Book Bundle, visit and review the Frequently Asked Questions.  Additional questions can be emailed to

Can I waive the Husky Book Bundle fee?

Yes.  All eligible students will automatically be enrolled in the Husky Book Bundle program. 

If you would like to waive the Husky Book Bundle Fee, please click the link for instructions: Waiving Husky Book Bundle - Student Academics and Services - UConn Knowledge Base

For complete details on the Husky Book Bundle, visit and review the Frequently Asked Questions.  Additional questions can be emailed to

Paying your bill

When will Summer 2023 fee bills be released?

Summer 2023 Fee Bills are now ready to view. Please visit the Office of the Bursar homepage to log in, view and pay fee bill.

When is the due date for the Summer 2023 fee bill?

Can I enroll in a payment plan?

Payment plans are only available in the Fall and Spring term. Please visit Payment Plans | Office of the Bursar ( for more information.

Can I mail a check to pay the outstanding balance due on my current fee bill? 

Yes.  However, since there is a delay in receiving checks/money orders in the mail, we highly recommend paying your fee bill using one of the online payment options described at our Student Payments page if you are paying close to a deadline.

Are other UConn campuses accepting check payments?

Students at regional campuses should consult their campus staff to ensure that they are processing check payments. All students are strongly encouraged to make payments using one of the online options described at our Student Payments page.

I am experiencing extreme financial hardship, does the University have any resources to assist me? 

Students who are facing unexpected financial hardship are encouraged to contact the Office of Student Financial Aid Services at Financial Aid will work to determine what, if any, supplemental financial support may be provided, or may refer students to the Students First Fund, which is administered by the Dean of Students office.

Where can I find information on additional funding options?

Information regarding additional funding options can be found on the UConn’s Financial Aid website, which includes information on scholarship opportunities, the Federal Direct Plus Loan, and UConn’s Suggested Lender List for Alternative/Private Loans. These are just a few additional resources that you may want to consider exploring to assist with any outstanding fee bill balance.

Why can I view my bill in two different website locations?

Prior to each semester, students and authorized users are notified by e-mail when their e-bill is ready to be viewed.  Students and Authorized Users are directed to the Online Bill and Payment System to view and pay their bills.

When students and delegated users log into the Student Administration system, they may also view their fee bill.  These bills display all charges, credits, refunds, and anticipated deferrals as they are posted.  This bill is always up-to-date.

I am a parent.  Why can I view one bill but not the other?

At UConn, students may provide direct access to certain portions of their education records. Students also have the ability to provide permission for certain offices at UConn to discuss records held or managed by that office and/or services provided to the student through that office. Different processes are required for each of these options.

There are currently three different options that students can grant:

Further explanation on how to permit UConn to discuss and/or share student information or records is available online.

Where can I find more information regarding FERPA (Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act)?

Please visit for more information on how FERPA applies to UConn students and their families.


I am expecting a refund as a result of a recent award (e.g. scholarship, grant, student loan, etc.). When can I expect to receive the refund? 

Eligible refunds based off excess financial aid will be automatically refunded at the start of the semester.  Refunds based off other funds must be requested by the student through the Student Administration system.

Direct deposit refunds are issued daily.  We strongly encourage students to sign up for direct deposit.

Paper check refunds are issued once a week and mailed directly to the student’s mailing address.  Checks cannot be picked-up in person.

International students: please be sure that your mailing address is up-to-date!

Tuition and fees

Why must I pay mandatory fees?

All mandatory fees must be paid to support programs and services at UConn.

Every student must acknowledge and agree to the SF Responsibility Agreement prior to being able to register for classes, which states in part:

“I understand that when I enroll at the University of Connecticut (the “University”) or receive any service from the University, it is my responsibility to pay, by the scheduled due date, all tuition, fees and other associated costs assessed as a result of my enrollment and/or receipt of services.”

For the full SF Responsibility Agreement, please review the SF Responsibility Agreement FAQ:

For a full explanation of fees, please review the Description of Fees:

Can my tuition and fees be discounted? Can the Office of the Bursar change my tuition and fees? 

The University approved the amounts for tuition and fees as proposed by senior leadership for Academic Year 2022-2023. The Office of the Bursar does not have the authority to change tuition and fee rates once established.

Other charges

Can I waive the Recreation Center fee if I don’t use the gym?  

No. This fee supports the Student Recreation Center including the operations and construction of the state of the art facility, opening Fall 2019. This is a mandatory fee required of all Storrs matriculated students. This fee cannot be waived. For more information regarding the services and programs provided by the Student Rec Center, please visit their website.

Contact information

How can I contact the Office of the Bursar?

If you have any questions, please email us at or call us at (860) 486-4830, 8:00am-5:00pm, Monday-Friday to speak with a Bursar representative.

The Office of the Bursar cashier window in the Wilbur Cross Building will be open from 8am-5pm, Monday- Friday if you wish to speak with a Bursar representative. The office will remain cashless and will accept only check payments in-person.

Who can I contact for information regarding registration, financial aid, and housing?

The Office of the Registrar has updates located on their website:

The Office of Financial Aid Services has more information available at their website:

The Office of Residential Life has more information available at their website: