Federal regulations require that all borrowers complete exit counseling for loans received through the Federal Perkins Loan Program if they have graduated, left school, or dropped below half-time. At the time of the exit interview, the borrower will receive information which includes:
- Total amount of Perkins Loans received at that institution
- Total interest charges that the borrower will pay on the loan pursuant to the projected repayment schedule
- Date repayment begins
- Debt management strategies
- Prepayment of the loan
- Loan forgiveness and cancellation
- Forbearance and/or deferment
- The consequences of default
- Your rights and responsibilities
Borrowers will be contacted by ECSI after separation at their UConn email address when the exit counseling on-line forms are available. You can view your ECSI account online at Heartland ECSI .
If you have received other loans in addition to your Perkins Loan, you must separately complete exit counseling forms for each loan type. More information about exit counseling.
Please note that Online Exit Counseling is not available for borrowers who graduated or left the University prior to December 2003. Those borrowers must contact the UConn Federal Perkins/Nurse Faculty Loan Office at (860)486-4835 in order to fulfill their exit requirements.