The Student Disbursement Office processes paper refunds on Wednesdays and credit card refunds on Thursdays. The office will process direct deposit refunds Monday through Friday. We strongly encourage students to enroll in direct deposit online through Student Administration System to avoid any delays.

To request a refund, log in to StudentAdmin and follow the refund request instructions.


General Refund Information

Refund checks for the beginning of a semester due to excess Financial Aid will be automatically issued within 14 days of Financial Aid disbursement.  You do not have to place a request for these refunds.

Your refund check will be mailed directly to the mailing/billing address associated with your account unless you are signed up for direct deposit. The main advantage of direct deposit is that you will have access to your money faster, as the funds are deposited directly in your bank account. Reminder: Paper check refunds are only processed on Wednesdays and cannot be picked up in person.

International students: please be sure that your mailing address is up-to-date!

Refunds are always written out in student’s name unless the refund is caused by excess funds from a Parent Plus loan.

Types of Refunds

Types of refunds

Paper Checks

Effective April 7, 2021, the Office of the Bursar is no longer able to mail refund checks to addresses outside of the United States. If you are expecting a refund and have an international mailing address, please either change your mailing address in StudentAdmin to a U.S. address, enroll in direct deposit, or request your refund be sent by international wire.

Credit Cards

Any credit card payment which results in a credit balance will be refunded to the originating credit card.

Direct Deposit

You can receive your refund by direct deposit into your checking account if you have enrolled for this service. Please go to our Direct Deposit Website for full details.

Online Refund Request Form for Paper Checks and Direct Deposit

Use the Refund Request Form in StudentAdmin only if you have a credit balance that was not caused by excess federal financial aid. Check requests require three (3) business days to process from the time the request is received by the Office of the Bursar.

Note: Refunds will be issued to the payment method that caused a credit balance.  There are no exceptions to this policy. Refunds will be issued by credit card, paper check, or by direct deposit into your checking account if you have enrolled for this service.

You will receive an email when your refund has been processed. It will also appear in the “Refunds” section of your StudentAdmin online fee bill.  If your refund is a direct deposit, you should check your bank account to ensure your bank has processed it. (Note: timing of deposits may vary slightly depending on your bank.)

To request a refund, log in to StudentAdmin and follow the refund request instructions.

Refund by International Wire

The Office of the Bursar is happy to offer refunds by international wire through Convera GlobalPay for Students. If you are due a refund from your University fee bill and are unable to receive the funds by direct deposit to a U.S. bank account, you can now request a refund be sent by wire to your international bank account.

Once you reach the website, input your reference number from your original Convera payment so the refund can go back to that originating bank account. If you did not pay through Convera, leave the field blank before clicking Confirm. Please make sure to use your UConn email address in the student email section. All requests with a non-UConn email will be rejected. Click through the prompts and input your home currency, payee details, and banking information.

The Office of the Bursar Student Disbursements team will receive your request, review your account, and approve the refund as applicable. Please allow 3 – 5 business days from when you submit your request until you see the refund reflected on your University fee bill.

Please note: Any overpayment from an international payment that exceeds $2,000.00 will be returned to the originating account.

Request Refund By International Wire

Refund Hold Authorization

Refund Hold Authorization

In certain cases you may request that a credit balance be held and not be refunded.  More information can be found on our Refund Hold Authorization webpage.

529 Plan Rules Regarding Excess Distributions

529 Plan Rules Regarding Excess Distributions

If there is an excess distribution of funds the University is unable to refund the 529 plan directly. Any excess funds from a 529 plan payment will be refunded to the student. Please refer to Publication 970.pdf and consult your tax advisor or 529 plan administrator regarding the excess funds.

Special Rules and Exceptions

Special Rules and Exceptions

Credit balances based on personal check payments will be held for 7 days before a refund check is issued.

Enrollment status must match financial aid packaging status (e.g., full-time, part-time, etc.) and the fee bill.

Refunds from international over-payments will be reviewed prior to issuing and may be returned to the original source.

Credits Paying for Future Charges

Credits Paying for Future Charges

If you have a payment that has been posted to your fee bill and there are future charges listed on your account, the payment will be applied towards those charges before any refund can be issued.

For example, if you have a credit balance on your Fall 2020 fee bill, and your Spring 2021 fee bill has already been released, the credit will apply to your Spring 2021 fee bill charges first before a refund can be issued.

If the money is applied towards the Spring 2021 charges, and if you are relying on financial aid to pay the remaining balance, you must wait for the spring financial aid to disburse before a refund can be issued.

Refunds Issued in Error

Refunds Issued in Error

In the event that the Office of the Bursar issues you a refund in error, the University reserves the right to reclaim such funds.

Escheated Refunds

Escheated Refunds

If you have an un-cashed refund check, we are required to forward these outstanding funds to the State Treasurer as unclaimed property.

To see if you have a refund which has been escheated to the State of Connecticut please visit the CT Big List.

As of today all uncashed refunds from 2018 and prior have been escheated to the State of Connecticut.