1098-T Frequently Asked Questions

Q: What is the IRS Form 1098-T?

A: The Form 1098-T is a statement that colleges and universities are required to issue to certain students. It provides the total dollar amount paid by the student for what is referred to as qualified tuition and related expenses (or “QTRE”) in a single tax year.

Q: When will I receive my Form 1098-T?

A: Your Form 1098-T will be available to you electronically on or before January 31 (or the next business day) through the Student Administration System. Go to the "Bursar Services" tile > View 1098-T.

Q: Why don’t the numbers on Form 1098-T equal the amounts I paid to UConn during the year?

A: There are potentially many reasons for this discrepancy. First, the amount in Box 1 only represents amounts paid for qualified tuition and related expenses (QTRE) and does not include payments made for room and board, insurance, health service fees, or parking which, though important, are not considered mandatory education expenses for tax purposes. Secondly, Form 1098-T reports amounts that the student paid in a certain year, and the pay date does not necessarily correspond to the dates that the classes were attended. For example, tuition for the Spring semester is typically billed in November so a student may have paid tuition for the Spring semester in 2017 despite the fact that classes didn’t start until 2018. The best and most accurate source of information about the amounts that you paid for qualified tuition and related expenses will be your Fee Bills.

Q: Does the 1098-T include charges for books?

A: No, the University does not include amounts paid for books in Box 2 of Form 1098-T.  You should consult with your tax advisor to determine if payments for books, equipment or fees should be considered when preparing your income tax returns and determining eligibility for education tax credits or deductions.

Q: What semesters are included in my Form 1098-T?

A: Typically, charges are posted to your student account in November for the Spring semester and in June for the Fall semester.  Box 1 of Form 1098-T reflects payments made during the calendar year for qualified tuition and related expenses and it is not based on when the classes were attended or billed to the student account. Your Term Fee Bills will show the dates payments were posted to your account and are a valuable resource for determining the semesters that are included in your Form 1098-T. You can access your Term Fee Bills in the Finance section under Student Homepage in the Student Administration System.

Q: I am a graduate student and I received fellowship payments. Where is my fellowship reported on my Form 1098-T?

A: For Form 1098-T purposes, fellowships are considered financial aid and will be reported in Box 5 as a (scholarships, grants, fellowships). Form 1098-T reports activity occurring in the calendar year.  Therefore, if the total aid you received during the calendar year (reportable in Box 5) exceeds the qualified tuition and related expenses (QTRE) paid during the same calendar year, you will not receive a Form 1098-T.

Q: I am a graduate fellow who is entitled to receive health or dental insurance at a reduced rate. How is this reported on my Form 1098-T?

A: Since insurance (both medical and dental) is not considered to be a qualified tuition and related expense, this expense it is not reported on your Form 1098-T. However, if the University subsidizes the cost of your insurance then the University subsidy is reported in Box 5 of the Form 1098-T.

Q: I graduated in May of 2018, do I have a Form 1098-T for 2018?

A: Some May 2018 graduates will not be issued a 2018 Form 1098-T because there is a possibility that payments for QTRE for Spring 2018 was made on or before December 31, 2017. The 2018 Spring semester tuition charges were generally billed and posted in November 2017 and, therefore, would have been included on the 2017 Form 1098-T, in Box 2.  If a student paid for the Spring 2018 semester and any other outstanding QTRE charges in 2017, then the student would not receive a 2018 Form 1098-T.

Q: How do I prepare my tax returns without a Form 1098-T?

A: Form 1098-T reports payments received from the student for qualified tuition and related expenses (Box 1) during the preceding calendar year.  However, if the student receives scholarships, grants and/or fellowships in the preceding year in excess of the amounts they paid in QTRE, the University is not required to issue a Form 1098-T to the student. When determining your eligibility for education related tax credits and deductions, you will need to report the amount you paid for qualified education and related expenses.  Therefore, your Term Fee Bills will be the best and most accurate source of information for amounts paid for qualified education and related expenses. This is true regardless of whether you receive a Form 1098-T or not.

Q: My accountant says that the University must provide me with a form 1098-T.

A:  The University in not required, by the IRS, to furnish a Form 1098-T in the following instances:

Ÿ  Payments for courses for which no academic credit is offered, even if the student is otherwise enrolled in a degree program.

Ÿ  Enrolled student is a nonresident alien, unless requested by the student.

Ÿ  Students whose qualified tuition and related expenses are entirely waived or paid entirely with grants/scholarships.

Ÿ  Students for whom you do not maintain a separate financial account and whose qualified tuition and related expenses are covered by a formal billing arrangement between an institution and the student's employer or a governmental entity, such as the Department of Veterans Affairs or the Department of Defense.

Q: Why isn’t Box 2 filled out on my Form 1098-T when it has been in prior year?

A: In previous years, Form 1098-T included a dollar amount in Box 2 that represented the qualified tuition and related expenses (QTRE) the University billed to your student account for the calendar (tax) year. Due to a change to institutional reporting requirements under federal law, beginning with tax year 2018, the University must report in Box 1 the amount of QTRE you paid during the year.

Q: My SSN is wrong on my Form 1098-T. Can I have a new one sent to me?

A: If your SSN is incorrect, you will need to complete Form W-9S and deliver it in person or via fax to the Bursar’s Office at (860) 486-3307 to request that an updated Form 1098-T be issued. The updated form will be posted to your Student Administration Account.

Q: I can’t get access to my Form 1098-T because I have graduated and have forgotten my access information.

A: Please contact the ITS Department at (860) 486-4357 to have your NetID password reset in order to access to your Student Administration Account.

Q: I don’t understand what I’m supposed to do with this Form 1098-T. HELP!

A: We are unable to provide tax advice. For guidance you may want to consider IRS Publication 970.pdf.pdf in addition to choosing a Tax Professional.