Title IV Authorization Frequently Asked Questions

What are federal Title IV funds?

Title IV funds are federal student aid funds, which are from federal student aid programs administered by the U.S. Department of Education. The U.S. Department of Education regulations only allow schools to use your Federal Student Aid to pay for current academic year institutional charges, unless you have granted permission to apply these funds to non-allowable charges as well.

Title IV funds include:

  • Direct Subsidized/Unsubsidized Loans
  • Direct Graduate PLUS Loans
  • Direct PLUS Loans
  • Federal Pell Grants
  • Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grants (SEOGs)
  • Federal Perkins Loans

Federal Title IV funds do not include scholarships from the University or other private organizations.

Allowable charges:

  • Tuition
  • Mandatory fees
  • Room and Board, if contracted with the University

Non-Allowable charges include:

  • Husky One Card charges
  • Parking fines
  • Health service/lab fees
  • Library fines
  • Late fees
  • Health insurance

How are Title IV funds applied to my account?

The U.S. Department of Education requires that Title IV funds be applied to specific allowable charges. Allowable charges include: tuition, mandatory fees, and room and board billed by the University. If your total of Title IV funds exceeds the total of these qualifying charges, the University must refund that excess to you unless you give permission to do otherwise.

Does the authorization form need to be signed each year?

No. The authorization remains in effect while you are a student at UConn. It may be rescinded or changed by sending a written request to the Bursar’s Office.

What does the authorization say?

"I wish to authorize use of my Title IV financial aid funds to pay any and all charges within the academic year."

  • If a student says “Yes” to this question, federal funds can be used to pay for other charges such as Husky One Card charges, lost library books, parking fines etc. If a student says “No,” a billing statement will be issued requesting payment for those other items. Please keep in mind that if you do not sign this statement, you, the student, will become liable for all charges not covered by financial aid.

Complete the Title IV Financial Aid Authorization.

What if I don't grant the authorizations?

  • If you do not grant authorization, your federal financial aid and loans cannot be used to pay for charges other than tuition, fees, University housing and meal plans and any excess aid will be refunded to you. Therefore, you may receive a refund and may simultaneously be sent a bill for any charges that could not be paid with your Title IV aid. Receiving a refund does not indicate that there are no pending charges on your account.

Sample Account – Unauthorized to pay non institutional charges

Term Charges Amount Date Posted
Parking Fine 35.00 02/14/2020
Transit Fee Storrs 80.00 02/14/2020
Technology Fee 75.00 02/14/2020
Activity Fee UG Storrs 86.00 02/14/2020
Infrastructure Fee UG Storrs 234.00 02/14/2020
University Fee UG Storrs 690.00 02/14/2020
Ugrad IS Tuition Storrs UACES 7,203.00 02/14/2020
Student Recreation Center Fee 250.00 02/17/2020
Student Health and Wellness Fee 290.00 2/17/2020
Late Fee Ugrad 150.00 03/08/2020
Total Term Charges 9,095
Term Credits
Credit Card Payment -201.00 02/13/2020
Federal Pell Grant -1940.00 02/18/2020
Fed DL Stafford Sub Ln 1 -2226.00 02/18/2020
Fed DL Stafford Unsub Ln 1 -990.00 02/18/202o
Federal Direct Parent PLUS Ln 1 -3738.00 03/18/2020
Total Term Credits -9095
Refund 185.00 03/20/2020

Note: Even though a refund was issued for $185.00, this student would still owes $185.00 of non-institutional charges ($35.00 Parking Fine, and $150.00 Late Fee)

If this student had completed the Title IV Authorization, their federal funds would have paid the $35.00 Parking Fine. In that case, the refund would only be for the $150.00 Late Fee. The $150.00 would then need to be paid back towards the bill after the refund was received. This is because Federal Funds cannot pay for extraneous financial penalties, including late fees, even with Title IV completed.

What If I change my mind?

  • These authorizations are voluntary and will remain in effect for the duration of your UConn education. If you wish to rescind the authorization you may do so at any time by notifying Bursar’s Office in writing .